IVF treatment is opted by couples who have infertility problems and this is known to have a high success rate. Now also known as test tube baby the procedure is simple and has been in operation for more 30 years. Unlike the usual artificial insemination where the sperm is placed in the uterus herein IVF the egg and sperm are fertilized in the laboratory and then later placed in the womb of the mother.
When is IVF recommended?
- When the sperm count is very low.
- Unexplained infertility problems.
- Problem with uterus or blocked fallopian tube.
- The cervix does not allow the penetration of the sperm.
- Ovulation disorders or uterine fibroids.
- The initial step would be to monitor and stimulate multiple egg formation. Here the patient would be required to take in some medical test and ultrasound procedure. This is to verify the health of the mother and if she is capable of giving birth to a healthy child.
- Once the results are positive and both partners have signed their consent the woman would be administered hormone injections which creates multiple egg formation. Some women have shown a slight reaction to hormone injections but this is procedure is done under the direct supervision of the doctor and all steps would be taken to reduce such reactions.
- Here the eggs are located using ultrasound and they are removed using a hollow needle .Now the extracted eggs are fertilized in the laboratory using the partner’s sperm. Now if the partner’s sperm or egg is not available they can opt for the sperm or egg donation program which is also offered by the clinic.
- The fertilized the eggs are placed in the incubator so that they get matured. This is to ensure that the embryos get the apt environment for the embryos to grow.
- Once this is completed the embryos are placed into the uterus of the mother using a catheter tube through the vagina and the cervix.
After effects of treatment
- Slight cramping
- Passage of fluid after the treatment.
- Breast tenderness
Success of IVF
The success of this also greatly depends on the reason of infertility, lifestyle factors, reproductive history, and age. In order to ensure better success for this procedure it would be recommended to opt this by women before reaching 35 years of age.